The definition of Defensive Tactics (as defined by TDATraining.blogspot.com):
Police defensive tactics are NOT the same as self-defense. The role of defensive tactics in law enforcement and corrections is to assist the officer in performance of arrest and restraint, and to increase the margin of safety for both the officer and the suspect. Defensive tactics charge the officer with protecting others as well as themselves. The definition of "defend" as used here is neither punitive nor passive, but instead "to repel danger or harm while serving and protecting." Meanwhile, self-defense encompasses any and all means of protecting oneself. Self-defense techniques are not meant to apprehend an assailant. Indeed, there is no regard for the safety of the attacker whatsoever. So obviously self-defense and defensive tactics are not synonymous.
…. Training in defensive tactics is more than simply issuing officers a nightstick and saying, "Don’t hit anybody in the head." It only takes a few seconds to be issued a tool, but learning to use it is a never-ending process.
….. Furthermore, you don’t always have the right tool in your hand. It may be on your belt or in your car, and while it just takes a few seconds to get it, that may be more than you have. Therefore another purpose of defensive tactics training is to give you a few seconds. You can use those seconds to get a tool or to plan a better response or simply to breathe and therefore regain mind control.
…. Finally, once you learn the techniques, you can’t forget to bring them with you, either. Sure, you can lose the skills if you panic, or if you refuse to practice them, but there is no way anyone can take them away from you short of rendering you unconscious.
OK …. Where oh where could I possibly be going with this on a fitness website???? Now that I have your attention, I’ll tell you.
While trying to live a healthy lifestyle and maintain weight loss, I am faced with unexpected dangerous (aka “unhealthy”) situations, and I need to be prepared to use defensive tactics and/or self-defense techniques to defend myself against the enemy (aka “bad eating choices”). Similar to the police tactics and techniques as defined above
• “learning to use it is a never-ending process” (I am constantly reading books and articles to become more knowledgable in terms of diet and exercise)
• “you don’t always have the right tool in your hand. It may be on your belt or in your car” (or in my case … having the right foods available in my pre-packed lunch box gives me “a better response” to my hunger and therefore I gain “mind control” in terms of eating properly).
• “once you learn the techniques, you can’t forget to bring them with you, either” (I can’t forget to bring the lunch box and there is no way anyone can take it away from me “short of rendering me unconscious”)!
OK … so do you get my point? Preparation and planning are key. There are times when the lunchbox thing isn’t feasible on a particular day (whether it be a lack of time or lack of food supply in the house), but I still plan and I come to work prepared. Jimmy Johns has an un-wich option (aka the lettuce wrap). The Beach Club un-wich is awesome! Panera Bread, McDonalds and Post 20 have some good salad options too. You can also get any Subway Sandwich option made into a salad option. I also carry a protein bar with me … you never know when you’re going to be stuck on a call and lunch/dinner is delayed. Bad eating decisions can be made when you’re starving and you have not pre-packed (or pre-planned) your food for the day.
As you prepare for your next work shift (i.e. duty belt prep, taser check, vehicle check, etc), you may want to add a lunchbox/food plan check. It may save your life in the long run!
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment